Every pest infestation will leave behind some sign of presence. Look for droppings or other signs on walls, such as grease like smears, or bite damage on carpets or cardboard. Can you can smell strange odors in your storage areas, offices, attic, or work places? Maybe you see something scuttling away or you think you did. If you think you did – you did. Consistently look for changes or holes in planted areas in gardens or entry points in buildings.
So, to re-cap, what signs are most likely to indicate a pest infestation?
Take a look at these five signs of a commercial pest infestation that you and your staff can identify.
- Mouse or Rat Droppings. Pest droppings are the classic sign of a pest infestation.
- Evidence of nesting Birds i.e. straw or hay, droppings on the floor or around drain pipes.
- Grease marks and dark coloured grease tracks around skirting boards and/or around items close to the ground.
- Physical damage to structures. This could be Pigeon guano or Rodent damage to timber or electrical cables.
- Damage to plants or holes in the lawn or soil in hedges or flower beds.
All pests need somewhere to live, roost, eat, breed and feed and most leave a “footprint”, although not literally, around their habitat. Our Technicians are experts in spotting the evidence of Pest presents, so if in doubt call us.
What is the best way to prevent a pest infestation?
- Block entry points (exclusion). This will eliminate the entry points for pests and will help keep them out of your premises.
- Eliminate sources of food, water, and shelter. They are always on the hunt for food, water, and shelter. Feeding the Birds in winter is very commendable but this will attract Rats and Mice and they will establish themselves in an area where food and water are available.
- In work places, make sure that effective food waste disposal is a priority. This means not allowing sandwich crusts or other titbits to be left around for wildlife or potential Pests
- You should constantly check, monitor and react to all potential problems. Rodents can move in overnight, Birds can start nesting as soon as the weather starts to warm up and biting insects will only increase if left unchecked.
If you’re a busy manager or a business owner, the extra title of “Pest Patrol Officer” will mean you sending additional time checking and treating and trying to eliminate all sorts gaining access to your grounds, offices, warehouses, storerooms, roof voids or other work areas.
Don’t despair! We will carry out a free survey for you and make recommendations of how to carry out effective Pest Control, based on our years of experience.
A lot of “hard sell” Pest Control professionals recommend coming out to treat your home or business premises every month for the purpose of Pest prevention. There are all kind of reasons given for this, but the truth is, once the existing Pest or threat of a Pest has been dealt with properly and our technician gets to know your site and its idiosyncrasies and a good Pest Control Company, such as Pestwise, can reduce those figures by a third at least.
Don’t think for one moment that the more money you throw at a Pest problem, the quicker it will go away. That’s not how it works. Experience is key to doing a good job for the client at a reasonable price.
One last point – Some Pests are seasonal, some seem to be ever-present, some are cute and some Pests are horrible – but all can carry disease and are a Health and Safety threat, whether in the workplace or at home.
Make sure you send us a message if you require more information – Contact Us